Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Age and the Worship Leader

I'm 41. That is something that has really consumed my mind lately. Am I going through a mid-life crisis looking back with regrets? NO. What has consumed my mind is that age seems to be part of the Worship Leader cliche. In contemporary churches, songs are supposed to be led by some 20'ish year old with the hip hair styles and proper uniform (random corroding t-shirt and washed out jeans).

When one enters 40, are they defacto 'not relevant'? When is one supposed to step aside? I thank God that with my age has not come the obvious signs of aging except for the graying of the hairs on the side of my head, gifts given to me by my 3 children. I can pull off the look (at least I think I can). Maybe my worship team would tell you otherwise. Truth be told, there is no way that I had the maturity to handle being a worship leader until now. God had perfect timing in putting me in this position. But, you can't help but ask yourself, "was I put in this position for me, or to help identify and raise up the next leader?"

Looking into God's word reveals people of all ages being used in critical times. Paul was no young chap, neither was Abraham. Jesus was in his 30s before God chose to bring about the series of events which would reveal the reason why he sent his Son. David was young when his journey started but he also made a lot of stupid mistakes in his younger days that he seemed to learn from with age. So, I guess I gain comfort from this.

I am not a Braveheart-speech type of individual. I am not going to stand on a mountaintop and dare all young challengers to just try and knock me off. I sense that just as God brought me into this position, he will take me out, and there will be peace about it.

Need to stop thinking about this...

No comments:

Post a Comment