Tuesday, April 13, 2010

To worship song writers: write something I can use

The more I've been in my role as a worship leader (2 years now) the more I have tried to branch out and do non-traditional songs from non-traditional authors (traditional being Tomlin, Redman, Hillsong) who everyone has pretty much done to death and then well beyond. The more I branch out the more I realize why these artists are so often the go-to guns on a Sunday morning: they write songs that can actually be done.

My big 6, not so magical, elements for what makes a successful worship song.
1. Make a point. Make the point not be about you but God. Not 5 points, one or 2 at the most.
2. Don't get too clever with the key changes. Sure it makes you an individual, but your job is not to throw the congregation off. Most worship leaders listen to something and think "could my congregation get this on one take?" If not, bye-bye.
3. The main elements HAVE to be able to be played by everyday musicians. Am I saying dumb it down? Not really but maybe. Think of the guitar runs in Salvation is Here or Happy Day. Easy as pie yet totally invigorating.
4. This is related to #3. Effects should be optional to add value only. If the drummer needs to run through an evolving filter to make it work, it ain't happening.
5. Do something unique in the song. A cool but short instrument pattern, a building and evolving bridge, cutouts, fades/builds, stop slams, whatever. Just strumming an acoustic for 4 minutes is boring and has been done to over-death.
6. Now the biggie. Wait for it.... Make it so that most people can actually SING IT!!!!!!! Worship songs are not a test of vocal range (I'm talking to you Planetshakers (who I love)). People can't worship if a doctor needs to be called in to inspect their damaged vocal chords. Oh and most worship leaders don't have the range to sing 2 octaves apart which degrades the song. And none of this goofy cadence stuff, where you cram 3 words into an offbeat, yes Dave Crowder, you are offender numeral uno.

Do those 6 things, and actually write a catchy song, and you may actually write something worthwhile.

If you want me to judge something you've written, contact me through this blog. I am a fair and very honest music critic. Thanks for reading, if anyone actually ever does. - Ron

No comments:

Post a Comment